Buy Books Here!

Monday, June 1, 2015

Mommy, am I Pretty? By Margot Denomme

I have the privilege of being able to raise a daughter.  Am I scared of the world she is entering?  Yes!  Do I worry that one day she will experience the cruel expectations that society places on females?  Most definitely!  Would I change any of it? Never!  I will accept the challenge of raising a young girl to be a responsible, kind and confident woman.  I also accept the challenge to make sure my son appreciates women with these qualities.  Conversations about societal roles are important.  We need to have these conversations as parents and as educators as well.

     Here is a lovely book which addresses a young girl's questions about what it means to be pretty.  What her very thoughtful mother responds with are all the 'right' answers.  It's nicely laid out with effective illustrations.  What do we mean when we tell girls that it's important to be pretty on the inside as well, because what's on the inside it what really counts?  This book is a good place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment